Social media mangers have to hold many hats. They have to be able to juggle a multitude of duties for multiple clients. I like to think that they are ninjas in a sense, working in the shadows and packing a powerful punch. I happen to love being a social media manager!
I have learned that there are many qualities and things that one must possess to get the job done. If you are a social media manager or you are considering hiring one, here are few things that a good social media manger is and isn't.
I'm going to start out with what a great social media manager is NOT. This doesn't mean that a social media manager can't be multi talented. We all have some killer hidden talents, but a dedicated social media manger does not need to have the following skills to totally rock at their job. A social media manager isn't-
- A VA. While you are working virtually, so technically it is a virtual assistant, they are not the same. A social media manager does not need to answer emails, update blog posts, work on webinars, etc. They are strictly a social media manager. There is no need to try and rake them down for services that are not their specialized area.
- An Intern. I've heard multiple times, from multiple different businesses, "We have our intern doing our social media, but it just isn't working". Well...DUH! Interns are there to learn a trade and get ready for the business world. So unless your business is a social media management company, don't hand it off to the intern.
- A Graphic Designer. This is two sided. Yes, a great social media manager will be a graphic making king. Meaning that they are designing graphics for social media! Don't ask them to design a logo. A great social media manager only needs to be an expert and creating socially optimized graphics.
- A Web Designer. They are not there to re-do your website or fix any issues you are having with it. They do not need to know how to code or install the plug-in you want. They just need to know how to rock the social media platforms you are using.
- A PPC Specialist (pay-per-click). There is not one thing about a PPC ad that screams social media. Not one. Totally different realm. Just because it's online does not make it a social media manager specialty.
- A Secretary. They are not going to show up at your office and organize your files or take calls. They won't run errands for you and there is literally no need to explain this point further.
- A Public Relations Specialist. Social media is a huge PR point, but a good social media manager only needs to stick to social media. Am I starting to sound like a broken record yet? Just let them do their job.
- A Video Specialist. If you are going to want Youtube videos and any type of video editing done, do not expect a social media rockstar to be able to do it.
- Your Only Source of Marketing. You have to diversify. Throwing all your eggs in one basket just turns things to shit. Or something like that. You can't leave all of your business's success up to just social media. This is just one piece of your comprehensive marketing plan. A very important piece, but not the only one.
A good social media manager will realize the importance of being focused on their trade. They are extremely active is staying up on current trends, knowing your audience's likes and dislikes and be incredibly reliable. They are creative and loyal to your brand and business. They are dedicated to helping your business grown. Does this sound too good to be true? It would be if you were expecting an intern to do that in multiple areas of your business. However, a social media manager only needs to focus on social media. A good one can do everything and more, as long as they are given the chance to. A good social media manager is-
- Able to Adjust With the Times. They understand that everything will experience waves. Social media is consistently evolving and changing. A good social media manager will be watching for those changes and adapting their strategy to flow. Change isn't always fun, but it's unstoppable. You just deal with it.
- A Hashtag Ninja. They know how to use them and where to use them. They literally are not used for making funny statements. They are a powerful tool. They are on top of their hashtag game! Total ninja moves!
- Total Audience Experts. They are experts at understanding your target market and where to find them. Basically they are online social stalkers who are consistently watching what your audience is doing on social media.
- An Ad Copy Writing Wiz. They know when to fluff and then they know when to step in with a direct sales pitch. There is a fine line to walk and a well crafted caption will wow your audience. They understand the power of a strong sales funnel.
- Structured, Organized and Dependable. Social media isn't just flying by the seat of your pants. A fantastic social media manager will be incredibly organized, have a detailed plan and be 100% dependable. There is a great content calendar and schedule in place. They do not miss posting days and they have an open line of communication with you.
- SEO Conscious. Social media can be crafted to improve search-ability. Your stellar social media manager will understand how to optimize your posts to gain traction in the large world wide web!
- Customer Service Award Winner. When someone does reach out via social media, they do not just drop the ball. The carefully respond and interact with grace and integrity. Every interaction is treated with total respect. Gold stars all around.
- App and Tool Expert. They have a bag of tricks and are always ready to step in with a new app and tool. Apps are seriously a god send. A pro social media expert will be extremely knowledgeable in how and where to use them.
- Trendy as a MoFo. Seriously. Trendy as hell. They recognize shifting trends with colors, images, graphics, new platforms, etc. They adjust and move forward with it. Social media managers can't stick with their same old bag of tricks. They have mastered being ahead of the trends and ready to take action with a new game plan. Creativity is key!
- Not Willing to Cheat. A keeper will never use cheater ways to grow social media accounts. They will not violate policies by buying followers or creating fake ways to lure people in. Never trust a cheater. You can get your accounts suspended by violating terms and then you are back at square one.
Social media managers and social media strategist can bring some powerful marketing tools to your business. Just make sure you don't get stuck on trying to sway them outside of their expertise. If you are in the process of hiring a social media manager or finally ready to up your social media game, download the Ultimate Social Media Manager checklist below. It will help you stay focused on the important things and find someone that works for you!
Let me know what you think makes a great social media manager by leaving a comment below!